[O] Synchronizing folder structure with heading structure (was: Create s

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Synchronizing folder structure with heading structure (was: Create sub-directories and files from within org)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:19:48 +0200

* Chris Henderson <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I create a project with ** project name, is there any way to create a
> sub-directory at *** level in ~/projects/project name and create txt files
> in that directory - all from within org?

Disclaimer: this is not an answer to your question but a remark.

I know of a cool project (non Org-mode related) from the Personal
Information Management professor William Jones (Univ. of Washington)
which is called Planz[1][4] (videos: [5]).  Its associated data
standard is called xooml[2]. (In case you are more interested in
this project/topic, drop me a line and I will happily share white
papers and links.)

Simplified, the idea is that you can manage your files together with
an outlining structure of text, links, and such. The SW is
Windows-only. However, I found the idea very appealing because it
synchronizes folder structure together with the structure of your
text information.

It's a research software and thus it is not that good maintained.

Prof. Jones was a reviewer of my PhD thesis[3]. And we discussed a
bit the similarities and differences of Org-mode (my favorite tool)
to Planz (his favorite tool).

Since Planz is a decent Windows interface with cool workflow
support, I was thinking about implementing a bi-directional
synchronization tool between Org-mode and Planz. This should not be
that tough to do since xooml is based on text files (XML) and
Org-mode supports attached files and folders and such. However, my
focus changed (and I am not using Windows) and therefore the idea
pretty much died on my SOMEDAY ocean :-(

I just wanted to throw in this idea. Maybe somebody finds
Planz/xooml that cool that he/she is willing to spend a few
LISP-hours with it :-)

For the sake of completeness, I want to add that there is also
research work from Boardman et al. (approx. 2000-2006) who was
researching and propagating synchronizing hierarchical structures in
emails, bookmarks, file system, and so on. WorkspaceMirror is a tool
which was developed within this project. Interesting stuff to read.

In case you are interested in reading more about those projects, get
my PhD thesis from [3] (whitepaper section). In the background
chapter, there is plenty of cool stuff described and linked :-)

  1. http://kftf.ischool.washington.edu/planner_index.htm
  2. https://code.google.com/p/xooml/source/browse/#svn/trunk/Planz
  3. http://tagstore.org
  4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planz
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YbebvDUd0&noredirect=1
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github