Re: [O] [RFC] Slight change to asynchronous export

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Slight change to asynchronous export
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:07:22 -0400

2013ko urriak 27an, Nicolas Goaziou-ek idatzi zuen:

> Hello,
>
> At the moment, by default, external emacs process for asynchronous
> export is called with:
>
>   /path/to/emacs -Q --batch -l org-export-async-init-file ... export stuff...
>
> where `org-export-async-init-file' defaults to `user-init-file'. It is,
> by default, not the same as calling "emacs", because of the "-Q".
>
> I suggest allowing a nil (default) value for
> `org-export-async-init-file'. In that case, the command will become:
>
>   /path/to/emacs --batch ... export stuff...
>
> If it is a file, it will be the same as before.
>
> WDYT?

Hi Nicolas,

My init.el file does (server-start), and also opens all the buffers
(usually 100+) I had opened the last time I quit emacs (by using emacs’s
included desktop library).  The buffers in turn spawn child processes
(aspell, some python IDE-ish autocomplete server, ...)  I think these
things are relatively common in init.el files, but not things that
should be done by the async export process.  Other examples might
include gnus/other email/rss fetching, or automatic update of installed
elpa packages.

Of course this would not be an issue for me in particular, but I think
it would be very easy for a user to get unwanted results.

I guess you want to make it so that users don’t have to configure async
export (beyond just flipping it on) in order to use it.  But I don’t
know if there is a sensible way to parcel out benign bits of
initialization code from dangerous ones without user intervention.
(“Dangerous” only in the sense of “should not be run by the export
process”.)

An interesting approach might be to extend the approach of
org-export--generate-copy-script in order to generate an init file
containing all relevant variable settings that can be read by the async
exporter, but given that export hooks can call into arbitrary
user-defined elisp, I don’t know if this could get off the ground.

--
Aaron Ecay