Re: [O] Confused about org-index, org-favtable, org-reftabel, org-refer-

From: Marc-Oliver Ihm
Subject: Re: [O] Confused about org-index, org-favtable, org-reftabel, org-refer-by-number
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:27:42 +0100

Hi Michael,

thanx for the good words about org-index !

And yes all those packages are earlier Versions of org-index :-/
However, I did not try to cover my traces that way, but rather tried to find a
name,
that at first glimpse gives an idea of this packages purpose ...
Now, org-index is a good fit, I think and I will not change its name again.

Regarding your upgrade path, I think you can easily switch from org-favtable to
org-index,
only that you should rename org-favtable-id into org-index-id within your .emacs
As far as I can deduce from the version history which is contained in
org-index.el,
you do not need to convert your index-table; it will work unchanged with
org-index.
(please tell me, if there are unexpected problems !)

Finally as for the piled up confusion of having several packages with different
names.
I need help from the org-mode elders in cleaning this up, because I do not have
commit-bit for org,
only for worg.

What should be done is this:
The only package that should be retained is org-index.el all others
(org-reftable.el, org-favtable.el
and org-refer-by-number.el) can simply be removed in favour of org-index.el,
the latest version of which
resides in worg.

Now, if the last paragraph passes unnoticed for some days, I will send out a
note directly to someone,
asking to help me clean up :-)

Thanx for your feedback and best regards !
Marc