Re: [O] Setting properties when scrolling around buffer puts property in

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Setting properties when scrolling around buffer puts property in wrong headline
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 21:33:32 +0100

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm supposing there's no way around this... but I'm creating a
>> taskjuggler document that's fairly wrong. I often find myself in a
>> situation where I go to set a :depends: property to reference another
>> headline and need to go see what it's task_id is. So, I scroll down,
>> look at the task, then enter the correct task_id in the minibuffer
>> (which is still active after doing C-c C-x p property-name RET), and
>> then find that it's been inserted in a different headline since
>> scrolling moves the point/cursor to a different headline.

I would say its the expected behaviour - when the mini-buffer is still
active, the command wasn't sent yet, and when you finally send it,
Org-mode acts on the property drawer where point is at that moment.

You might want to read about using the mark, i.e. how to set the mark
before searching the task-id, and then go back to that point before
sending the command from the mini-buffer:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Mark-Ring.html#Mark-Ring

--
cheers,
Thorsten