Re: [O] org-writers-room sort of works! just in time for NaNoWriMo

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] org-writers-room sort of works! just in time for NaNoWriMo
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 02:10:08 +0100

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Matt,

I've pushed a new version of org-writers-room to the repo,

> https://github.com/titaniumbones/org-writers-room
>
> It's still rather simple, but some of the awful usability bugs are
> less severe: - org-writers-room can only be called from an org-mode
> buffer - when disabled, org-writers-room gets rid of the extra windows
> it created Doesn't restore a pre-existing windowing setup yet,
> unfortunately -- I would love some advice about how to do that.

these are the lines in outorg.el that deal with the window
configuration, maybe they can give you an idea of the simple way I saved
and restored the initial window-config when launching/killing the
outorg-edit-buffer:

,----------------------------------------------------------------------------
`----------------------------------------------------------------------------

> - the guide window displays a half-decent collapsed outline of the
> document by default.
>
> Unfortunately, one you start typing the guide mode starts to display
> your new text.  I don't know if there's a way around this, and
> probably it would be better to use one of the existing outline modes
> for the guide window, but I don't know how to use those.  Maybe
> Thorsten or someone can comment on how to improve that.

unfortunately I have no time to checkout your writers mode right now,
although I find the idea quite interesting and will give it a try next
time I have a writing project.

If the doc is an Org-mode doc, navi-mode.el should work out of the box -
just follow the installation instructions. It offers many views on the
associated document, outlines, keywords, and combinations of both. You
can customize (improve) the current keyword searches, and define your
own keyword searche too, simply by customizing 2 variables.

You would have to make the *Navi* buffer pop up in the right window in
your config, then you can switch back and forth from the document to
*Navi* buffer (with M-s M-s and d or s or o).

--
cheers,
Thorsten