Re: [O] Arbitrary lisp functions in column-attributes

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Arbitrary lisp functions in column-attributes
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 22:06:20 +0100

Hi Mark,

Mark Edgington <address@hidden> writes:

> What about it seems too much?  Or put differently, what do you think would
> be the negative effects of having something like this possible?

One possible negative effect I can see is that users have to be extra
careful what type of output such functions will produce, so that this
output can be used by a summary type.

> From my (obviously biased) point of view, making it available would mean
> that the dynamic column view becomes much more flexible, and it would reduce
> the need in the future for lots of new hard-coded features/functions to be
> added to the related org-mode code.  Instead, features can start out as
> functions which people create and share, and if they become popular enough
> among many people, they can be incorporated as a "built-in" feature that
> comes with org-mode, or as a contributed module.

Yes, I understand this, and my objection is not really technical: this
is just a vague intuition of what traps users may fall in.  But I'd say
that we should try every other ways (like Babel, org-collector, etc.)
before going down this road -- and someone will have to implement this
anyway... but that's just not me :)  (I don't want to close a door.)

Best,

--
 Bastien