[O] Fwd: set global visibility set to CONTENTS in a defun?

From: Matt Price
Subject: [O] Fwd: set global visibility set to CONTENTS in a defun?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 14:30:44 -0500

sorry, forgot to cc to group.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matt Price <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM
To: Bastien <address@hidden>

Hi Bastien,

... sorry for hte delay on this, I have changed my code so many times
and so fruitlessly that I stilll don't have a good example to point
you to,

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am sure it's possible to do this ,but I can't seem to figure out how
>> to set the global visibility level of org headings to a pre-specified
>> level in a list function.
>>
>> (org-global-cycle) cycles the visibility among OVERVIEW --> CONTENTS --> ALL
>> it accepts an optional argument, but whatever I put in the argument
>> (number, string, whatever) has the effet of setting visibility to
>> OVERVIEW, e.g..  I'm sure there's a trick I'm missing, could someone
>> please tell me what it is?
>
> Mhh... hard to give good hints without a better idea of what your
> defun does -- can you share more about it?

What I mostly wanted was to write an interactive defun that would
switch to an org buffer and then automatically set the visibility
(either the global visibility or the visibility of the active subtree)
to an arbitrary desired level.  org-cycle does not seem to be a
reliable way to do this because you can't just pass the desired
visibility level as an argument -- or at least, I an't figure out how
to do this.  The same is true for org-global-cycle.  I'm not sure,
does that clarify what I'm asking?

Thanks as always for your help,
Matt

in my org-writers-room (git