Re: [O] managing articles in my personal library, and their citational m

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: Re: [O] managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:16:30 +1100

On 20/11/13 14:37, Eric Schulte wrote:
Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> writes:

On 20/11/13 03:25, Eric Schulte wrote:
Ian Barton <address@hidden> writes:

On 19/11/13 01:40, Christopher W. Ryan wrote:
Not sure "citational" is even a word, but hopefully it conveys my meaning!

I've been using LaTeX for academic writing and reading for quite some
time, with emacs as my editor. I'm pretty familiar with managing a .bib
file containing all the references I've collected, and using it in LaTeX
\cite commands.

I've come to org-mode more recently. I'm trying to imagine how I might
use it to manage my "personal library." I have a directory full of pdf
files, each a downloaded article. Some articles I reference in papers I
write; others I just read and want to keep.  I also have a .bib file
where I put the citational material for all those articles. Whenever I
download an article, I add its entry to my .bib file. I tend to manage
this with JabRef because it searches Medline so easily, but I also will
edit the .bib file directly when necessary.

I like the idea of an org file containing the citational information
(authors, title, journal, etc)  *plus* links to the pdfs on my hard
drive, or on the internet. I could also include my notes about the
articles. But what would that org file look like? How do I insert a
reference to an article into the org file which contains the article I
am writing?

I'd be grateful for any explanations, or links to tutorials.

Can't help with managing the citations in org, as the last time I had
to do this I was using a card index file:)

However, to address your other questions one way of doing this would
be to create an org file with a heading for each article:

* Article 1.
Here are some notes.

* Article 2
My notes

I've been using such an org file for most of grad school and I couldn't
be happier with the results.  I have a single reading.org file with one
top-level entry for each article I read.  Currently at 533 articles
(many still tagged TODO) and 16,558 lines.

To create each headline, I first copy the bibtex information onto my
clipboard, then I call `org-bibtex-yank' which converts the bibtex
information into a headline with properties. E.g.,

      * Software mutational robustness
        :PROPERTIES:
        :TITLE:    Software mutational robustness
        :BTYPE:    article
        :CUSTOM_ID: schulte2013software
        :YEAR:     2013
        :ISSN:     1389-2576
        :JOURNAL:  Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
        :DOI:      10.1007/s10710-013-9195-8
        :PUBLISHER: Springer US
        :KEYWORDS: Mutational robustness; Genetic programming; Mutation
testing; Proactive diversity; N-version programming; Neutral landscapes
        :AUTHOR:   Schulte, Eric and Fry, ZacharyP. and Fast, Ethan and Weimer,
Westley and Forrest, Stephanie
        :PAGES:    1-32
        :LANGUAGE: English
        :END:
      file:papers/10.1007_s10710-013-9195-8.pdf

      The arXiv preprint is up at http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.4224.

      More notes...

Is there some easy way to import entire bibtex files in this way?

org-bibtex-import-from-file

I find citations to be frustrating. Is there some way that bibtex (or
org files such as the above) can be used to enter citations in an org
file so that they are exported correctly by the different exporters?

Or is there someplace where all this information is gathered and I
just am too blind to see it?

I don't know, I personally use org-bibtex-export-to-kill-ring to convert
citations to bibtex individually and manually.
I think I have a terminology problem. What I mean is to enter something like \cite{mann82} in the text and have it spit out (Mann 1982) in each and every export as well as constructing an entry for the bibliography.

Of course, the actual form of the output should be configurable to some extent, but I'd be happy with one form that always comes out the same.

Is that possible? I'm currently fudging the issue by entering a Markdown style entry in the text, for example address@hidden:_legal_aspec_money], exporting to Markdown and then using Pandoc to get the final result.

Not elegant.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks for any help.