Re: [O] Converting org-mode/org-contacts to VCard (importing to Android)

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] Converting org-mode/org-contacts to VCard (importing to Android)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 18:09:42 +0100

* Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Friday 22 November 2013 17:37:01 Karl Voit wrote:
>> The reason I wrote it in Python is that I don't know ELISP well
>> enough. The reason I wrote the script instead of using existing
>> export methods: I only want to export a small sub-set (names, phone
>> numbers, email addresses, contact image) due to privacy reasons.
>
> That should be possible with the existing VCard export.  See `org-contacts-
> ignore-property' to ignore specific properties.  And `org-contacts-export-as-
> vcard' takes a NAME parameter to limit the names.

Fair enough :-)

However, I did additional things like checks, filtering, and so
forth that were important to my data-set. E.g., my contact template
does contain "0043/" as a pre-filled content for phone numbers. I
wanted to ignore those fields that got only this template and not a
complete phone number. I also wanted to get warnings in case some
data does not fulfill certain other requirements.

I have to admit that I don't know the feature-set of the Org-mode
export. I would be very surprised, if the Org-mode export method is
able to follow my custom "photo:" link I am using, grab the image
file, test if it has a image format that works with VCard
2.1 on Android, and encodes it in base64 accordingly.

You see: I want to have ways to tweak the export process. And as
long as I don't know ELISP that well, I stick to the tools I know.

A side remark of mine: a couple of months ago I tried to find out
how to store address information, phone numbers, and so on in
org-contact properties. AFAIR I could not find anything except the
:EMAIL: property. Is there a standard out there that answers
questions like "separate street from house number?", "how to cope
with multiple addresses for one contact?", and so forth? I created
something on my own as you can see on [1].

I am happy if you can get benefit from my little project and I am
also happy when Org-mode offers a great export functionality for the
rest of us :-)

  1.
https://raw.github.com/novoid/org-contacts2vcard/master/testdata/testcontacts.org
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github