Re: [O] org-indent-mode corrupted most of a big org file

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-indent-mode corrupted most of a big org file
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:25:01 +0100

Hello,

Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> writes:

> last week I played around with org-indent-mode in my biggest (37.000 lines)
> org file.
> 3 days later I detected that most of the file was corrupted.
> WHy so late? Using the agenda I only saw the todos and did not recognise the
> corrupted structures.
> Most "*" items had been placed at the beginning of the line and therefore now
> became headlines.
> I do not know how this happened. I am not sure if I myself was the reason
> somehow.
> Anyway I had to spend a fair amount of work to get the old file format from
> subversion and insert the changes since the corruption.
>
> This is just a warning to have backups at hand before changing to org-indent
> mode.
> Then immediately and check often the contents of the file until you are sure
> all is running well.
>
> Maybe someone has an idea.
>
> I will try to convert again later but then be much more careful.

For the sake of correctness, `org-indent-mode' cannot corrupt a file. It
only modifies two text properties, `line-prefix' and `wrap-prefix',
never the contents of the file.

Something else corrupted that file. `org-indent-mode' possibly made it
harder to notice, but you're looking after the wrong culprit.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou