Re: [O] hyperlink to customize

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] hyperlink to customize
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:17:25 -0500

Brady Trainor <address@hidden> writes:

> Brady Trainor <algebrat <at> uw.edu> writes:
> Should probably just get comfortable with the info version of elisp
> manual.

Yes, you will be happiest when you are assimilated :-) Emacs insists on
info files for all packages distributed with it, so info is the lingua
franca.

> Would be nice to have org versions of all info files.

I've heard similar sentiments before and although I agree with the
specific case of the org manual[fn:1], I can't see what benefits it
would provide in most or all other cases. Hence my question: why do you
want to have org versions of all info files? What would the benefits
be?

Footnotes:

[fn:1] Two reasons: if one is a producer of org documentation (which we
       all are to one extent or another), it's easier to write it in
       one's "native" language, so to speak. And having the manual in
       org provides a good test of org functionality (primarily export),
       the kind of test that Bernt Hansen's document has been providing
       for a long time, but perhaps on a larger scale.  But rewriting
       existing texinfo documentation in org just does not seem to
       provide many (or even any) benefits.

Nick