Re: [O] orgmod: R and threeparttable

From: Vikas Rawal
Subject: Re: [O] orgmod: R and threeparttable
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:40:57 +0100

>> \begin/end{threeparttable}, but then I caught that threeparttable is
>> actually a wrapper around tabular. Not sure how you can currently use
>> Org to specify two layered wrappers like that? Or you might need
>> someone to write an equivalent of #+begin/end_center for
>> threeparttable?
>>
>> #+begin_threeparttable
>> table-generating-stuff
>> #+end_threeparttable
>>
>> Even more complicate is that tabular ends, then a tablenotes
>> environment begins/ends, and only *then* does threeparttable end.
>>

> This is precisely the problem. At the moment, there does not seem to be a
> way of doing it.

Of doing what?
You can always write raw LaTeX in an Org buffer.

Nicolas,

The objective is to be able to add notes to a table generated by an R source code.

It is indeed possible to use raw latex to use threeparttable. I did that when I prepared a book manuscript earlier this year, my biggest experiment so far with use of org mode for writing.

This was not entirely satisfactory because it broke the link between my R source code and the table. Doing this compromises easy reproducibility that is such a big plus with working on org mode.

I do not know if I am expressing myself clearly. The table is being generated by an R source code. We need a way of adding notes to such a table.

Moreover, footnotes can give you almost the same result.

Unfortunately, on such matters, one has to work with the conventions in different disciplines. At least in social sciences, it is usually expected that notes are placed below Tables and Figures, and not as part of footnotes, which are reserved for notes to text. At least my collaborators and readers frown when I put table sources and notes in the footnotes.

> I think it is a major limitation

Aren't you exaggerating a bit?

I meant to say that this is the major limitation in my use of org mode, which is primarily for writing research papers. I would really like to know if this is a limitation faced by others using org mode to write research papers.

I do understand that there are innumerable requests for adding this feature and that. In particular, it has been said many times before that we cannot support every possible latex table environment.  But I still think that, in this area of application of org mode, capability to neatly add a footer to tables and graphics, including when they are made by a source block, would be very useful.

Vikas