Re: [O] are heading properties always strings?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] are heading properties always strings?
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:14:03 -0500

excellent, that is exactly where I would have expected it, in the documentation for org-entry-put.

it would also make sense to say in org-entry-get that you get a string. if you store a number in a property, it is not obvious you can't just get it and do math on it.

Thanks!

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:31 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>>> 3. It also wasn't obvious that you have to give org-entry-put a
>>> string. If you try to set it to an integer, you get strange control
>>> characters like ^A or ^C.
>>
>> Can you tell which place in the documentation you expect to find this
>> information?  In functions' docstrings or in the manual?
>
> Besides documenting the requirement, I guess it makes sense to check for
> stringiness before using the argument.

Indeed, done here:
http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=9758f2

--