Re: [O] Implementing Org-mode tools in languages other than ELISP

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Implementing Org-mode tools in languages other than ELISP
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:43:12 -0500

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

>> Therefore, I develop all my Org-mode tools with Python which I am
>> comfortably with. I have done various things and put it on
>> http://github.com/novoid

> FWIW, I think it's good to develop tools for Org not only in Elisp but
> also in other languages: Org is not just an Emacs module, it's also a
> format, used outside Emacs.  E.g. .org files on github.

I dream of having a general Python parser for Org mode files, knowing
every bit about the current syntax for Org files, surrounded by enough
Python machinery to make it useful.

One non-negligible problem is that such a tool, to be very complete,
would need an Emacs Lisp interpreter, which is all of an undertaking in
itself.  Maybe that some half-heated compromise could be developed?  A
hundredth-hearted compromise is likely the most I could do!  :-)

François