Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 09:34:57 -0500

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Say you have a mail X that's semi-interesting.  Do you then, read it,
> mark it as unread, close the buffer, go back later, read it again and
> unread it?

I once used Gnus as a reader who tremendously helped me at handling the
high email volume of email I got when I maintained many GNU packages
(the Translation Project and also "tar" were pretty generative!) and
following lots of newsgroups.  Now that I got out of maintenance, Gnus
as a mail reader is a bit of overkill, but I still use it to peruse
archives I collected on many subjects, in about a thousand of nnfolders.

Searching them all is often convenient.  Normally, I only delete
articles from one of these archives when I decide to ponder it whole and
clean it up, and then read articles one after another the normal Gnus
way.  Otherwise, I prefer them untouched even if casually consulted,
postponing the cleanup until I get motivation and a good chunk of time.

For the detail, when not in clean mode, I often unread an article just
after having read it, or when I know I am perusing a lot, just let them
read but quit by "Q" instead of "q", which reverts all the marks.

>From an hits buffer generated by org-grep, I can get many hits of many
kinds (Org, non-Org, mailboxes or mailgroups), and while checking many
of these links in speedy mode, it slows me down considerably if I have
to stay alert and careful at unreading Gnus articles among the rest, and
fairly dangerous if I get tired and stop being careful.

François