[O] Long lines prevent Org mode!

From: François Pinard
Subject: [O] Long lines prevent Org mode!
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 20:24:36 -0500

Hi, Org maintainers.

This morning, while using my little org-grep tool, I got a "Stack
overflow in regexp matcher" diagnostic.  I first looked for a bug in my
things, but the problem lies in Org mode.  It cannot be activated if the
Org buffer happens to contain a long line.

In the *Scratch* buffer, I wrote this little function:

   (defun essai (n)
     (with-temp-buffer
       (insert (make-string n ?x))
       (org-mode)))

and called it with various values of N.  It works fine for small N, but
breaks when (on the machine here) N reaches 33333.

I wonder if the following article could help:

  [[https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/gnu.emacs.help/pxfMC5f7JHg][Stack
overflow in regexp matcher - Google Groupes]]

François

P.S. Would someone be kind enough to teach me the wisdom about how to
insert Org mode fragments in an email so it is received the most legibly
possible at the other end?  Presumably, there is a Gnus way (which is
it?) yet many people do not use it.