Re: [O] Buffer local alias?

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Buffer local alias?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 21:40:39 +0100

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Leha writes:
>> I am not as organized as Tom is.  So the chances to use my up-to-date
>> orgmode and successfully export any of my org documents from a year ago
>> (they are almost all 'Literate Programming' documents and, thus, maybe
>> more fragile?) are slim.  I do not have numbers, but it seems like I'll
>> need to adapt such documents all the time.
>
> We've discussed this beforeā€¦ If you want anything "reproducible", you
> either need to keep it up-to-date with rolling releases and regression
> tests or you need an environment that can be frozen (i.e. a VM with the
> data plus the OS and applications). Anything less than that is coming
> back to bite you at some inconvenient moment.

Yes, I know.  That's why I am sighing a bit:  Both approaches need work
or are inconvenient in one way or the other.

I am following the first approach, since I sort of can live with that
kind of impaired reproducibility and I really want (some of) the new
features constantly added to Org.

I just want to say: For me, the more backwards compatible Org stays the
better.  That's why I vote for the alias in the initial topic of this
thread.  And for similar measures in other cases, where backwards
compability is as 'cheap' as in this case.  It will just mean a little
less work for me in the end.

Regards,
Andreas