[O] most robust linking practices?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: [O] most robust linking practices?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:09:48 -0500

Hi all,

I am using org-mode in a multiuser environment, (i.e. many people have access to the org-files). I create org-files with links in them to other files, and I am trying to find the most robust way to do that.

For example, in one file in section I type C-c l to store a link, and then later C-c-C-l to insert it in another file. That link looks like this:

[[file:~/dft-book/dft.org::*Introduction%20to%20DFT][Introduction to DFT]]

It works for me, but not for other users, because of the ~ in it.

I have tried using org-id, with mixed results.  I set this up in my init file

;; automatically create ids for links
(require 'org-id)
(setq org-id-link-to-org-use-id 'create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-id)

Now, when C-c l is typed, it creates a unique id in the heading, and the link looks like this:
[[id:065443d5-59d7-4119-b530-7b63af28349b][Background]]

I haven't figured out a detail though. If the original file is not open, org-mode does not seem to find it when I click on it.

Am I missing some setup for org-id? I can see here http://orgmode.org/worg/org-api/org-id-api.html that there is some concept of a database of ids, but I didn't see anything about using it.

How would another user click on that id link and get to the file if they didn't have the database?

Finally, the end goal here is to package a set of interlinked org-files that someone else would use as a standalone package. What is the best link strategy for that?

Thanks!

John

John Kitchin
Associate Professor