Re: [O] [bug][ox-latex] Captions in equations

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [bug][ox-latex] Captions in equations
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 10:36:21 +0100

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> This example produces invalid LaTeX code:
>
> #+CAPTION: test
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :mode math :environment pmatrix
> | \alpha | \beta | \gamma |
>
> Namely,
>
> \begin{equation}
> \caption{test text}
> \mathbf{H}=\begin{pmatrix}
>  \vdots & 0 & \vdots \\
>  \vdots & H & \vdots \\
>  \vdots & 0 & \vdots \\
> \end{pmatrix}.
> \end{equation}
>
> But an equation cannot have a caption.
>
> I'm not sure what the desired behavior is.  (i) To silently drop the
> caption, (ii) to wrap the equation in some sort of float and give it a
> caption; or (iii) to print the text sans the \caption{ยท}.
>
> (iii) can be archived with math-prefix.  (ii) is a bit weird, but
> could be archived relatively easy, but it's not really what one would
> expect; it's consistent with how captions work for tables (turned into
> a float when a caption is present).  (i) is also a bit weird, but
> seems the most reasonable to me.
>
> Since I don't know what the correct behavior is, I don't have a patch
> right now.

As a short term solution, I think the (i) is the best. That's exactly
what happens to LaTeX environments: in `org-latex-latex-environment',
the caption is dropped and only the label, if any, is inserted in the
environment.

As a long term solution, it would be interesting to be able to do (ii),
for both tables in math mode (but not in inline-math) and LaTeX
environments: captioning an equation is a reasonable request.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou