Re: [O] Feature Request: Allow Tangling Named INCLUDEs

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Feature Request: Allow Tangling Named INCLUDEs
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:40:42 -0700

Nick Daly <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Bastien,
>
>> Nick Daly wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks, I have a situation where I have many named code snippets
>>> currently available in external files, and would like to tangle them
>>> into an Org mode file.
>
> Bastien writes:
>> I'm not the one who would undertake this, so my opinion on this should
>> not matter much... but I think #+INCLUDE is well suited for exporting,
>> not for tangling.  I'm not able to say why, this is just an intuition.
>
> It seems to me like it's trying to unify exporting and tangling: this
> emphasizes that tangling is just another (very specific plain-text) form
> of exporting.

I'm not sure tangling is naturally an exporting procedure (unlike
weaving which is exactly exporting).  Either way re-implementing
tangling inside of the exporting seems like a large amount of work with
little payoff (unless there are other export features which I'm missing
which would be useful for tangling).

> Using Eric's function for exporting allows me to remove lots of
> boilerplate code from the source org file and keep the org source
> better focused on the code's function and structure.

Great.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte