Re: [O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:51:09 -0500

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Josiah Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> address@hidden writes:
>>
>>> emacs doc/org.texi
>>>
>>> [make changes to documentation]
>>>
>>> git commit -m "Update documentation to org-src-preserve-indentation."
>>>
>>> git format-patch master
>>>
>>> But no files were generated... Am I doing something incorrectly?
>>
>> Yes.  You need to explicitly add your changes to the index.
>>
>>   git add doc/org.text
>>
>> then git commit -m "message" will behave as you expect.
>>
>> (Using "git commit -a" worked, because that is like doing a "git add" to
>> all modified files.)
>>
>> It sounds like you misunderstand what "git add" does.  If you read a
>> little bit more about git workflows, I think it will make sense to you.
>
> Perhaps, though I'm familiar with `git -am "comment"` on my own stuff.
> I was just following along with Worg, which doesn't mention doing
> that. I'm now thinking that `git add` must be implied in the line
> =make some changes (1)=?

No, it does need the git add (or equivalently in this case, git commit -a).
Worg is wrong, so if you could fix it, that would be good.

One additional point: ``git status'' is invaluable. The first thing I do
when I go into a git repo or after an interruption is ``git status'' to
orient myself. It tells me what branch I'm on, what files are modified,
what files have been added already so they will be part of the next
commit, what files are present but not part of the repo and it gives you
explicit instructions about how to undo anything that is not right
*before* you commit.

Nick