Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 00:25:53 +0100

Hi,

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>>> In the .tex file or in the .pdf?
>>
>> Both.
>
> Weird.
>

>>> I know that #+begin/end_example works properly, so I took a look at
>>> the difference between them:
>>>
>>> \begin{frame}[fragile,label=sec-1]{begin src}
>>>  \begin{verbatim}
>>> a <- "Test of whitespace preservation"
>>>
>>> b <- cat("Let's see what happens when we spill",
>>> "onto multiple lines but want the text",
>>> "being passed to cat() to be aligned")
>>> \end{verbatim}
>>> \end{frame}
>>
>> I don't know why or how you get this, but this has nothing to do with
>> `org-src-preserve-indentation' since there in no global indentation in
>> your code (i.e., a line starts at column 0).
>>
>>> \begin{frame}[fragile,label=sec-2]{begin example}
>>>  \begin{verbatim}
>>> a <- "Test of whitespace preservation"
>>>
>>> b <- cat("Let's see what happens when we spill",
>>>          "onto multiple lines but want the text",
>>>          "being passed to cat() to be aligned")
>>> \end{verbatim}
>>> \end{frame}
>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> Source blocks are exported with what appears to be some sort of tab
>>> character;
>>
>> You can use C-u C-x = in order to know what it is.
>>

> Here's what I get:
>
>              position: 754 of 1188 (63%), column: 0
>             character: TAB (displayed as TAB) (codepoint 9, #o11, #x9)
>     preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
> code point in charset: 0x09
>                syntax:   which means: whitespace
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
>           buffer code: #x09
>             file code: #x09 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
>               display: no font available
>
> I checked my locale, and it's set to en_US.utf8 (Arch Linux)
>
>> What happens if you run (org-export-execute-babel-code) on your Org
>> buffer?
>
> I'm not used to running functions. I placed this in the document,
> selected the text, and did `M-x eval-region`. Nothing appears to have
> happened, but the *Messages* buffer printed out: "org-babel-exp
> process R at line 9..."
>
> Does that help any?
>

> John

I have not been following this thread.  So please scratch this in case
it is not relevant here.  But I once had problems concerning tabs and
source blocks in beamer documents.  So, this is what I have in my .emacs
(quite crude):

(defun my-e-beamer-final-filter (contents backend info)
  (replace-regexp-in-string "\t" "        " contents))
(add-to-list 'org-export-filter-final-output-functions
'my-e-beamer-final-filter)

Regards,
Andreas