Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 21:01:54 +0100

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For me the following keys need shift or Alt-Gr: ^, ", `, !, ?, and
>> ~.
>
> Oh, do you really need the Alt-Gr key for `?' and `!' ?
>
> Does that mean you don't use `C-c !' or that you rarely use it?
>
> Of course, this may have nothing to do with the keybinding itself,
> but I'm curious.

If i can throw in my 2-cents, I have been using Alt-O or(Meta-O if you
prefer) for a Ctrl-C, Ctrl-C substitute in org-mode for years. Now i
use a combination of an activation key (Alt-O or f4) and a kind of
fast-key mnemonic map. I need mnemonics because there is just too much
in org-mode, and i prefer to just type an extra key rather than have
to bend to hit a semi-random modifier + cryptic keymap entry.

so:
Alt+o,a => agenda,
Alt+o,0 => capture -> inbox
Alt+o,1 => agenda file 1
Alt+o, A,h => agenda - home tag
Alt+o,T,c => org table convert region
Alt+o,T,C,b => org table convert buffer.

Basically, two keys to most used personal functions. To save the
pinkies, alt and shift are the only modifiers. alt for the activator,
and shift to dig into a personalised sub-menu.  I tried binding to
FNkeys, but i could not memorise them. the "ah" = at home comes
naturally to me.

I for one will follow this idea with interest.

Tim.