Re: [O] terminal emulators

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] terminal emulators
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:35:02 +0100

Gregor Zattler writes:
>> You cannot enter C-: in some terminals because it would require
>> simultaneous processing of shift and control (these terminals ignore
>> shift while control is pressed).
>
> this is true for xterm, rxvt-unicode, gnome-terminal, konsole and
> the linux console.

Terminal emulators and certainly all of those you've listed usually pass
this on correctly unless they are explicitly configured (by the user or
the application using them) not to (at least when in an UTF-8 locale).
Since Emacs tries to use the full terminal capabilities you must have
configured something that prevents this from being enabled by Emacs if
it doesn't work for you.  Note that some X kbd configurations take over
Shift+Control (usually just for left or right) to emulate hyper or
super, but that would cause Emacs to recognize these events instead, I'd
think.

Regards,
Achim.