Re: [O] parser: verbatim or code?

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] parser: verbatim or code?
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:52:10 +0100

Hi Nicolas

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Indeed, that's the very issue we're discussing in this thread.
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you mean here.

For me it was not explicit enough that this

    ((equal marker "~") 'code)
    ((equal marker "=") 'verbatim)

is the part discussed.

I am not sure if it is that simple but just from the word "code" and
from the usage on Worg I tend to conclude that for inline code
snippets 'code should be preferred and 'verbatim only be used for
non-code things more similar to just like an inline quote. Only if
this distinction should really matter then keeping the above code
unchanged and changing the Org manual from =code= ~verbatim~ to ~code~
=verbatim= would have the following advantage:

The syntax for inline code snippets seems easier to read by human and
to parse with "~" than with "=" because inline code snippets use "~"
less often than "=". I avoid "~/" by using "$HOME/" in my notes about
shell and shell scripts. Some examples:

Bla ~a = 1~ bla,
bla ~b=2~ bla,
bla ~local my_variable= # Bash shell: Set to empty value.~ bla,
bla ~source $HOME/.profile~ bla.

vs.

Bla =a = 1= bla,
bla =b=2= bla,
bla =local my_variable= # Bash shell: Set to empty value.= bla,
bla =source $HOME/.profile= bla.

Michael