Re: [O] Tables with line wrapping?

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Tables with line wrapping?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:05:34 -0800

Hi Peter,

Peter Davis <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using org-mode to prepare a document that will ultimately be
> exported to PDF. Unfortunately, I need to include a table whose contents
> will wrap as needed.

I've run into this problem before too, but I haven't found a good
solution. (Though I haven't looked that hard.)  Maybe someone else will
have a better suggestion than the workaround I've used (see below).

> The options I can see are:
>
> 1) Do everything I can in org-mode, then export and edit the
> intermediate .tex file, or
>
> 2) Create the table with some other tool, and include it as an image
> into the org document
>
> Am I missing anything? Are there other (better?) ways? As I expect to be
> revising both the table and the rest of the document for a while, the
> uni-directional workflow in #1 above would be difficult.

What about just maintaining the table as an embedded LaTeX block? e.g.

... your Org text here ...
#+BEGIN_LATEX
\begin{tabular} % or wrap with \begin{table} if you need, etc.
% ...
\end{tabular}
#+END_LATEX

That way, at least, you can edit your document and the table at the same
time and in the same file, though it means giving up Org's nice table
editing features.

Best,
Richard