Re: [O] List of figures

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] List of figures
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 06:37:14 -1000

Aloha Nicolas,

> Hello,
>
> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> I can imagine that a list of figures is a difficult problem in some
>> other back-ends.  However, its absence in LaTeX export seems unusual.
>
> Org doesn't cover all LaTeX facilities. There are #+LATEX:
> and #+BEGIN_LATEX...#+END_LATEX to fill the gap.
>
>> Would it make sense to have this work as expected for LaTeX export (and
>> perhaps other back-ends where it does make sense)
>
> We can start to discuss what a good implementation could be for major
> back-ends. But implementing it for LaTeX only is, IMO, not worth the
> trouble:
>
>   #+toc: figures
>
> vs.
>
>   #+latex: \listoffigures

AFAICT the new exporter works flawlessly.  I'm confident that it will
let me produce LaTeX to any practical specification.

My original query came about because I was trying to write Org markup
and *not* drop down to LaTeX.  In this context--Org as a lightweight
markup language--the possibility of creating all but one of the
"lists-of" with #+TOC: seems like the markup language core is missing a
piece.

I look forward to the discussion of implementations for the major
back-ends. Let me know if I can help in any way.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye