[O] automatic scheduling of next task in project

From: Peter Rayner
Subject: [O] automatic scheduling of next task in project
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:04:25 +1100

I would like org-mode to remind me automatically of the next task in a
project. Perhaps an example will help. I'll use outline headings to
show the levels of tasks

* Write trends paper
** global section
*** analyze GCP results
*** Calculate confidence intervals on trends
** Inverse Model section
*** Code to read inverse model output
*** Calculate regional Uncertainties
**** Generate new region groupings
**** Rerun calculation

etc etc
I can flatten this list into a list of TODO and I can store it as a
separate project that will be incorporated into the agenda view. What
I would like is that when I change one of these items to "done" the
next one is automatically scheduled into the agenda. It means I can
plan the workflow for a project then not have to bother remembering
where I was up to ... guess who is doing too many things at once :-)
Is this already possible? If not, is it worth creating some kind of
file option so that, when a file is scanned for incorporation into the
agenda view, the first TODO item that isn't listed as done will be
listed in the agenda?
Thanks in advance
Peter

***

--
Support us in the OXFAM trailwalker as we try to walk 100km in 24
hours. <https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/team/home/15596>

Peter Rayner
room 343
School of Earth Sciences, University of Melbourne, 3010, Vic, Australia
tel: work: +61 (0)3 8344 9708; fax: +61 (0)3 8344 7761
mobile +61 402 752 379, skype: petermorag
mail-to: address@hidden