Re: [O] org-agenda-do-date-late and emacs freeze

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] org-agenda-do-date-late and emacs freeze
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 22:21:18 -0600

Igor Sosa Mayor <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> is there a way to debug what is happening after pressing some key
> combination.
>
> I have the problem that in the agenda view when I press M-+ to run the
> function org-agenda-do-date-late, sometimes (and this is the problme: it
> happens randomly, not always), emacs gets freezed and I have to press
> C-g to cancel. Interestingly when I press C-g I see the date on the
> right side updated and everything continues working OK...

Does it happen when you have filtered the agenda? If so, then I can
confirm this bug...

I am using...

 - emacs 24.3.1
 - org 8.2.5h

...on...

Linux box 3.13.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 23 00:10:07 CET 2014 i686
GNU/Linux

Emacs freezes as you describe when whenever I attempt to reschedule an
item in a *filtered* agenda that has invisible lines between it and the
next visible agenda item. This is the crucial condition: there must be
invisible text in the agenda buffer immediately following the agenda
item being rescheduled. Take the following agenda:

Day-agenda (W09):
Sunday      2 March 2014
  inbox:      Scheduled:  Call Jack                                      :phone:
  inbox:      Scheduled:  Call Jill                                      :phone:
  inbox:      Scheduled:  Run up a hill                                :errands:
  inbox:      Scheduled:  Call the hospital                              :phone:

So long as the agenda is unfiltered, then org-agenda-do-date-later works
fine.

If I filter the agenda by the tag "phone"...

Day-agenda (W09):
Sunday      2 March 2014
  inbox:      Scheduled:  Call Jack                                      :phone:
  inbox:      Scheduled:  Call Jill                                      :phone:
  inbox:      Scheduled:  Call the hospital                              :phone:

...then org-agenda-do-date-later causes Emacs to go into an infinite
loop on "Call Jill" but *not* on the other phone items. This is because
of the invisible "Run up a hill" that comes after "Call Jill."

I have tested this several times with emacs -Q and can replicate it each
time.

I previously documented the issue in this thread:

 - http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/75288

Matt