Re: [O] Blank page in LaTeX/PDF output

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] Blank page in LaTeX/PDF output
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 07:27:54 -0500

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014, at 10:46 PM, John Hendy wrote:
[snip]
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
> From my fiddling:
> - As-is produces 4 pages, blank 3rd
> - Commenting out the hyperref package does *not* produce a blank 3rd page
> - Using \section* does *not* product a blank 3rd page

Thanks, John. It certainly seems that hyperref is at least partially to
blame here. I'll have to check on what the developers consider a 3rd
party package. hyperref itself loads a bunch of other packages, so it
gets very complicated.

> I added a comment linking to Wikipedia's Linux penguin that I used as
> ./image.png, just to make sure it wasn't possibly related to errors
> related to no image being found.

I first saw the problem when I was using actual images, so I knew it
wasn't that.

> I wondered if it had something to do with the numbered sections being
> treated as links (since hyperref was the culprit package). I fiddled
> with removing \label{sec-n}, but that didn't have an effect. I
> wondered if that was triggering something due to it having links sort
> of "ready" for the TOC even though none is present... no idea!

Seems plausible.

> Anyway, as long as graphicx and hyperref are not considered "3rd
> party," I think you could still submit the report. You may be told
> that since there are overfull hbox and vbox's that it's not their
> problem, but I'd still expect the results to be the same with \section
> vs. \section*, and with[out] hyperref.

Thanks again, John. I'll look into this and report back whatever I find.

Best,
-pd

--
  Peter Davis