Re: [O] In-line code, italics, quotation marks, etc.

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] In-line code, italics, quotation marks, etc.
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:32:55 -0600

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to create an org page that contains a list of instructions, some
> of this include code and/or URLs. I'm having a dickens of a time trying to
> get this to format correctly,
> and the documentation isn't much help. For example:
>
>  - I want to have a numbered list with some of the steps being or containing
> code, in monospaced text:
>
>      7) =something "abc"=
>
>    However, the second quote seems to prevent the =...= notation from being
> recognized.

Perhaps annoying, but 0 width spaces have been used in the past (found
by googling "verbatim quotes orgmode"
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-04/msg00332.html

Not sure if those still work, as null characters were suggested here
as well, but then cited to possibly break export?
- http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52575

What's the export backend? Sometimes I just deal with manually
inserting \(\verbatim{someting "abc"}\) (or not using \(\) if you have
tex:t latex:t in #+options).

>  - I want a URL that does NOT get converted to a link, and in which I can
> place italics to indicate that parts of the sample URL should be replaced
> with other text:
>    http://localhost:<port number>/path/to/file/file.html
>    In this case, "port number" and probably "/path/to/file/" should be
> italicized.

Not sure what others will say, but I typically rely on raw backend
syntax for situations like these. Seems too hard to escape the parsing
while also imparting your own markup, but I could be wrong!

>  - Of course, combining these, I get situations like:
>    =var str1 = "<replace me> some other text."=
>    Embedded equal signs, quotation marks and emphasized text make this a
> nightmare.

Same suggestion. Hopefully you don't have an insane number of these or
aren't using a bunch of export engines. If it's limited to one and you
have, say, a handful of them... hopefully just going raw export
language could work?

> Can this be done, or is this just more complicated than org was designed to
> handle? I can, of course, edit the exported files, but that's pretty limiting.

Nicolas could explain much better, but from my perusing Google results
for you, it didn't seem promising. There are instances of folks
tweaking their parsing string:
- http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/20915/focus=20922
- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16443386/how-to-escape-double-quote

John