[O] column-mode can not do an estimate effort summation on day/week modi

From: Jon Miller
Subject: [O] column-mode can not do an estimate effort summation on day/week modifiers
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:10:12 -0800

Hello,

I'm creating a new org file today and I'm using work estimates that use
day(d) and week(w) modifiers. Specifically, I have the following defined:
#+PROPERTY: Effort_ALL 0 1:00 4:00 1d 2d 1w 2w
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %17Effort(Estimated Effort){:} %CLOCKSUM

The problem I'm having is with column-mode and the estimate effort sum. It
appears that the normal effort summation wants purely HH:MM formatted work
estimates. I spent some time trying to understand that part of the code but
some of those column functions are pretty big (read: I'm a semi-literate
elisper). I did come up with the following to define my own summary-type ":d"

#+begin_src elisp
(add-to-list 'org-columns-compile-map
             '(":d" add_duration
               (lambda (&rest x) (apply '+ (mapcar
'org-duration-string-to-minutes (mapcar 'prin1-to-string x))))) t)
#+end_src

First version wasn't using the prin1-to-string and I noticed
"org-duration-string-to-minutes" was being passing only the integer part of
a "1d" work effort. Adding the prin1-to-string processing merely made it
not error anymore but still isn't doing what I'd like.

Is there a way to get the entire work effort passed to my function? Or a
better suggestion?

Thanks,
--
Jon Miller