Re: [O] automatic scheduling of next task in project

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] automatic scheduling of next task in project
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 08:13:02 -0600

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> * Peter Rayner <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I would like org-mode to remind me automatically of the next task in a
>> project. Perhaps an example will help. I'll use outline headings to
>> show the levels of tasks
>
> Auto-scheduling might be difficult.
>
> In my workflows I am using dependencies with :BLOCKER: and settings
> SCHEDULED dates roughly but on the aggressive side.
>
> With (setq org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks t) I get them all on my
> agenda. You just have to learn to visually ignore the dimmed tasks.
> From time to time I re-check dimmed tasks for the reason why they
> are dimmed/blocked to find dead-ends.

You can also set org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks to 'invisible, which will
remove blocked tasks entirely from the agenda. Then, you could add the
property ":ORDERED: t" to the heading and schedule them (for the diary
agenda) or mark them NEXT/TODO (for the todo list). This would cause
each event to appear on the agenda after the blocking task is marked
done.

> An additional/other approach would be the use of :TRIGGER:
> chain-siblings(NEXT) in order to move the NEXT state from a finished
> task to the next one.

Or, since the OP is using org-depend.el (in contrib), he could also use
:TRIGGER: chain-siblings-scheduled(NEXT).

Best,
Matt