Re: [O] Babel should not work in the subtree marked as not exported

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Babel should not work in the subtree marked as not exported
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 19:03:06 -0600

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,

>> I'm jumping in half way through here,
>
> Thanks for jumping in.
>
>> but wouldn't setting the :noeval
>> property to "yes" and :export property to "none" on the subtree work?
>
> Well, the property-setting works, but that is really cumbersome.  In a
> typical org file, it takes 5 keystrokes to toggle the :noexport: tag
> (C-c C-c n TAB RET).  But I do not want to count the keystrokes it take
> to additionally set these properties.

Not that bad "C-c C-x p n RET yes", I get 8 to set noeval, if you've
done it already in that Org file.  You could also easily wrap this
behavior into a function and bind that to a key-chord.

> Just to confirm.  This is what you suggest, correct?

> * test
>
> ** Not exported
> :noexport:
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :noeval: "yes"
>    :export: "none"
>    :END:
>    #+BEGIN_SRC ditaa :file test.png :cmdline -E
>           +--------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
> +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
>       x   | 0 cRED | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |  | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1
> | 1 |
>           +--------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
> +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
>    #+END_SRC
>
> ** blah blah
>    blah blah blah
>

>> One may also want to COMMENT the subtree to inhibit it's export
>> wholepiece (not just code blocks).
>
> This does not seem to work, as the test.png is also created here.
>
> Again, just to confirm.  This is your suggestion, correct?

> * test
>
> ** COMMENT Not exported
>    #+BEGIN_SRC ditaa :file test.png :cmdline -E
>           +--------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
> +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
>       x   | 0 cRED | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |  | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1
> | 1 |
>           +--------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
> +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
>    #+END_SRC
>
> ** blah blah
>    blah blah blah

Close, I meant the following alternative

* test

** COMMENT Not exported
   :PROPERTIES:
   :noeval: "yes"
   :END:
   #+BEGIN_SRC ditaa :file test.png :cmdline -E
          +--------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
      x   | 0 cRED | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |  | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 |
1 |
          +--------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
   #+END_SRC

** blah blah
   blah blah blah

> So, my question to this thread is: What is the easiest way to disable a
> subtree during export completely so that also none of the code blocks is
> evaluated (regardless of its :session argument).

My example immediately above.

> Or even more precisely: Couldn't the COMMENT keyword do exactly that?  I
> do not expect code from inside a COMMENT subtree to be considered during
> export.

No.  This has been raised previously and there was a consensus that it
is often desirable for code in a COMMENT section to be evaluated on
export.  Personally I often stuff code blocks into COMMENT sections
which I want run as part of my publishing process (e.g., to create
resources used in the exported document).

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte