[O] Clarification on ChangeLog documentation

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Clarification on ChangeLog documentation
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:09:53 -0500

Greetings,

I've been getting my feet wet on documentation patches (well, on two
of them) recently and didn't think the documentation was *that* clear,
in my opinion. If someone can help clarify, I'm happy to patch the
documentation on patching :) For reference:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-5

The specification is clear enough for lines 1 and 2.

#+begin_quote
In line 3, the ChangeLog entry should start, in a similar format as in
the old ChangeLog files, but without the author information (which is
part of the commit anyway).
#+end_quote

The ChangeLog instructions refer back to the "old ChangeLog" files
,but if you've never submitted a patch, that's not very helpful and
there's no link to read about the "old" format. I referred to the
example for this, but more on that below.

#+begin_quote
Variables and functions names are quoted like =`this'= (backquote and
single quote).
#+end_quote

Does the Org verbatim markup help explain this any better than just
using, `this'? It's not fontified, so to an Org-novice, it might not
be clear why == surround the word.

And, walking through the example line by line:

#+begin_quote
Capture: Fix the case of using a template file
#+end_quote

What determines what should come before the colon? Obviously the
example was to capture functionality and the corresponding
documentation, but is there a set list of words that should be used? A
recent patch, for example, clarified that the :exports header argument
only applied to code blocks, not inline code. I used:

Header arguments: blah blah blah

Should that have been a manual section title, something specifically
about exporting, code blocks, babel... other?

I understand the first line should contain the file name. Is this
correct, as it's not in the manual example. And should it be file.ext,
or dir/file.ext for the first line summary?

#+begin_quote:
* lisp/org-capture.el (org-capture-set-plist): Make sure txt is a
string before calling `string-match'.
(org-capture-templates): Fix customization type.

* doc/org.texi (Capture): Document using a file for a template.
#+end_quote

My change modified only org.texi, but in two places. Do I need a
"header" per change, or just a header per file? Nevermind; Bastien
responded to my submission so I now know the answer is one header,
with two content bits. Also, from his response, I gather that the bit
in between parentheses should be the @node name of the section being
changed, correct?

#+begin_quote:
The problem here was that a wrong keyword was given in the
customization type.  This let to a string-match against a list value.
#+end_quote

I couldn't tell if this paragraph was supposed to be a continuation of
the second "header" above, or if it was it's own standalone summary of
the gist of both changes.

#+begin_quote
Modified from a patch proposal by Johan Friis.
#+end_quote

Can I reference mailing list threads, or is this not advised? Or
should I be mentioning the person who responded on the mailing list
for the clarification which led to the documentation modification?

#+begin_quote
TINYCHANGE
#+end_quote

Is the FSF requirement necessary only if one commit > x lines, or is
it cumulative?

I can take a shot at clarifying this in the manual example based on
perhaps it's just me that's ignorant on the process :)

Best regards,
John