Re: [O] [patch][ox-html] Stylistic changes

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] [patch][ox-html] Stylistic changes
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:01:02 -0400

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 03:17:10AM +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > So if the change is only stylistic, I see no reason to break
> > compatibility with "ox-freemind.el".

> I would favor a solution where the HTML backend uses what's
> readable (&mdash; and friends) and where the Freemind backend
> deals with this.
>
> Maybe `org-html-special-string-regexps' could be a variable
> and Freemind could temporarily set it up to what it needs?

The use of numeric vs. named entities is not just stylistic.
XHMTL[45] only support the 5 basic named entities interally:

          - &amp; - the ampersand &
          - &quot; - the double quote "
          - &apos; single quote '
          - &lt; - less-than <
          - &gt; - greater-than >

So including any others will generate non-conforming output.
Since the change is cosmetic, I don't see the purpose in adding a lot
of conditional code to the exporter to output different entities for
html[45] vs xhtml[45].

rick