Re: [O] [patch][ox-html] Stylistic changes

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [patch][ox-html] Stylistic changes
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:19:27 +0100

Hi Rick,

Rick Frankel <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 03:17:10AM +0100, Bastien wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > So if the change is only stylistic, I see no reason to break
>> > compatibility with "ox-freemind.el".
>
>> I would favor a solution where the HTML backend uses what's
>> readable (&mdash; and friends) and where the Freemind backend
>> deals with this.
>>
>> Maybe `org-html-special-string-regexps' could be a variable
>> and Freemind could temporarily set it up to what it needs?
>
> The use of numeric vs. named entities is not just stylistic.
> XHMTL[45] only support the 5 basic named entities interally:
>
>           - &amp; - the ampersand &
>           - &quot; - the double quote "
>           - &apos; single quote '
>           - &lt; - less-than <
>           - &gt; - greater-than >
>
> So including any others will generate non-conforming output.
> Since the change is cosmetic, I don't see the purpose in adding a lot
> of conditional code to the exporter to output different entities for
> html[45] vs xhtml[45].

AFAIK, we have a lot more entities in org-entities with &PRETTY-NAME;.
When I've entities I've used a pretty name over a numeric value when I
found one.  What's you'r opinion on that?  Should we go for readable
or aim towards replacing them with these numeric values?

—Rasmus

--
With monopolies the cake is a lie!