Re: [O] verbatim and apostrophes

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] verbatim and apostrophes
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:23:18 +0100

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> A suggestion could be to allow any text inside the markers, except for
> the marker itself which would need to be escaped. Escaping could take
> the form of doubling the marker:
>
> ~"foo bar"~ --> "foo bar"
> ~"foo ~~ bar"~ --> "foo ~ bar"
>
> As I've not thought this through, I'm pretty sure someone will find a
> huge flaw in this suggestion.

Well, the huge flaw will never be obvious with such solutions...
because the flaw is precisely this: it hides huge flaws.

(Do not bother parsing the above, I'm not sure myself.)

FWIW here is my gut reaction: I'm not a fan (euphemism) of escaping
here, I feel like it adds little value while bumping complexity too
much.

But exploring it might be worth it, if someone wants to try!

--
 Bastien