Re: [O] Out of Order Evaluation

From: Charles Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Out of Order Evaluation
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 01:34:10 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha <at> med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document
> > using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?

[snip]

> > Is this possible in a single pass?

Not quite. The method suggested by Andreas computes the result twice. If
there is any randomness in the results (as in the example) you will get a
different answer in the summary than when the block is later evaluated.

> > I've played with #+NAME and
> > <<block()>> but haven't gotten the out-of-order evaluation quite
> > right.

You can use

#+results: the-mean

before

#+NAME: the-mean
#+begin_src R
mean(x)
#+end_src

which is after 'theanalysis' block.

And if the format is not pleasing add a filter that reformats the result.

> > Michael
> >

> How about something along:

> #+TITLE: Test
> #+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
> #+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both
>
> * Summary
> The mean result was src_R[:exports results :var
analysisresults=theanalysis()]{mean(unlist(analysisresults))}

> * Analysis,
> We do some complicated calculations:
>
> #+name: theanalysis
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
> x <- rnorm(5)
> #+END_SRC

It might be better to mark all the blocks in the doc ':eval never'
and ':exports code' or ':exports none' and put blocks before the first
headline that do all the calcs from noweb references, and put the #+results
lines (if you need them) wherever you want them in the doc. Like so:

#+TITLE: Test
#+AUTHOR: Michael Weylandt
#+PROPERTY: header-args:R :session *__R__* :exports both

#+NAME: master
#+BEGIN_SRC R :noweb yes :results silent :exports results
<<theanalysis>>
#+END_SRC

* Summary

The mean result was  src_R[:exports results]{mean(x)}

* Analysis,
We do some complicated calculations:

#+name: theanalysis
#+BEGIN_SRC R :eval never :exports code
x <- rnorm(5)
#+END_SRC

IMO, needing ':exports results' for inline src blocks is a bug not a
feature.

HTH,

Chuck