Re: [O] Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Navigating from agenda causes incorrect expansion of children
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:58:38 -0700

i am saying that i prefer [and i believe new users will often prefer]
that org not hide things unless they are just normal folding.  this
preference is currently impossible to convey to org.

===

more details:

i do not ever want to see only the first headline of a set of
headlines, for example.  it is too confusing to think that that is the
only headline.  it is too troublesome to have to go to the parent and
cycle twice just to show the headlines.

this default is one of several that i want to erase.  and yet it is
the default behavior and cannot be fixed without defadvice and hooks
and so on.  and i still have a whole bunch of issues like this that
after many years i still have not been able to fix.

===

canonical = "what i can in principle reproduce with tab and arrows".

showing only the first child [for example] CANNOT be produced with tab
and arrows, ergo it is not canonical.  try it and see -- you can't
make org hide the remaining children.

the problem is that there is no variable in org that specifies to org
"i don't like that behavior or any behavior like that behavior".
[this is only one of several examples where there are strange ellipses
and strange sparse-tree-like hiding.]

===

so i am saying a variable that says "i only ever want canonical
visibility" would be a great idea.

On 3/21/14, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> as for org contexts, perhaps we need something like an
>> org-show-canonical-form, where canonical form is a state of visibility
>> that can be created from a folded org file using TAB and arrow keys
>> alone.
>
> You mean `org-reveal' should depend on the some hardcoded visibility
> property rather on the user preferences?  I'm not sure I completely
> grok what you refer to here, sorry.
>
> --
>  Bastien

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.