Re: [O] org-babel R output table with plot

From: Feng Shu
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel R output table with plot
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:27:33 +0800

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Feng Shu <address@hidden> wrote:
>> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I sort of follow the below, but I think it would be more helpful to
>>> describe what you *don't* like about the output below. In other words,
>>> what are you trying to achieve that is not working below?
>>>

>> It just suit my need, but I want to know more simper solution, which let
>> me type less code.
>
> Hmmm. Not seeing a ton of ways to optimize, but it might depend on
> your total usage scenario. How many of these types of table/plot
> combinations are you creating? Just a couple sets, or a lot?
>
> The plot command is the only one that looks inefficient since a babel
> block with :file header would automate opening/closing a device... If
> you defined your data.frame in another babel block and used the
> :session argument, you could do something like this:
> #+name: plot
> #+header: :file /path/to/file.png :width 1600 :height 900 :res 200
> #+begin_src R :session r :exports results :results output graphics
>
> plot(data)
>
> #+end_src
>
> After that executes, you'll end up with a named results block which
> you can manually add the #+caption to? I typically use something like
> the above. Your solution is nice as one could add things like
> #+attr_latex or #+begin/end_center code via the paste() function in
> R... while mine saves having to manually do pnt(); plot(); dev.off().

> Another option might be to generate all your plots in a loop, perhaps,
> and then stick to just programmatically including them with Org
> syntax? I essentially did that here:
> - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-08/msg01167.html
>
> Not really much different than what your'e doing, though, I suppose.

> It would just scale nicely if you have various data sets and always
> generate a table and plot from them all. Then you could create your
> data.frames in a list and then lapply() through them with each of your
> functions, printing the proper Org syntax as the result (with :results
> drawer, as you're already using).

I use loop to generate multi tables.

There is a problem:  only the first table generated from current R src.
can be aligned correctly, which sometime is very annoy.

The below hook can align all the tables generate from R code:

#+begin_src elisp
(add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'eh-org-babel-align-tables)

(defun eh-org-babel-align-tables (&optional info)
  "Align all tables in the result of the current source"
  (interactive)
  (let ((location (org-babel-where-is-src-block-result nil info)))
    (when location
      (save-excursion
        (goto-char location)
        (when (looking-at (concat org-babel-result-regexp ".*$"))
          (while (< (point) (progn (forward-line 1) (org-babel-result-end)))
            (when (org-at-table-p)
              (toggle-truncate-lines 1)
              (org-table-align)
              (goto-char (org-table-end)))