Re: [O] [Patch] Few small fixes to html header

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] [Patch] Few small fixes to html header
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:43:56 -0400

On 2014-03-27 15:57, Marcin Antczak wrote:
I've attached patch below, but I'm affraid that there is something wrong
with indentation.
I'm not sure if there is problem with my settings or just entire
ox-html.el is indented badly.

Unfortunately, ox-html is indented with a combination of tabs and
spaces, you can turn on whitespace-mode to see. I'm not sure why your
saving the file has touched areas you didn't edit. Did you do a
re-indent or have a whitespace-cleanup or convert-tabs-to-spaces hook
turned on?

My patch fixes HTML meta data produced on export by ox-html.el

1. Meta charset definition should be set before title as document
title can contain
some unicode symbols etc.

I believe this is the gist of your patch (bug fix?) -- putting the
content-type declaration before the title (it's hard to tell due to
all the changes in your patch)? If so, i don't see the need. Following
is a sample org file w/ a unicode character in the title. It renders
correctly on both internet explorer 9 and chrome 31.0.1650.63, the
only browsers i have available right now. I believe that the meta
content is parsed before the rendering, so the position within the
header is irrelevant.

#+BEGIN_SRC org
,#+TITLE: ☑ \gamma

,* Test utf-8 title
Put  ☑ \gamma (checkbox and gamma) unicode characters in the title.
#+END_SRC

2. Added viewport declaration as described here:

https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/blob/v4.3.0/doc/html.md

here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/UsingtheViewport/UsingtheViewport.html

I don't believe it's appropriate to have as a default in ox-html as
the current exporter makes no attempt at "responsive design". If you
would like your exported documents to include it, you can use the
HTML_HEAD_EXTRA property on a per-file basis, or customize the
variable `org-html-head-extra'.

3. Fixed unnecessary "\n" at the end of Description meta.
4. Removed unnecessary spaces in meta tags.

Are these bugs or simply stylistic cleanup?

rick