[O] in-buffer settings, tags, org-element, org-id. . .

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: [O] in-buffer settings, tags, org-element, org-id. . .
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 10:54:59 -0500

. . . I'm getting confused about how to use these features. Sometimes, by chance, I'll find an example/use. but often as not I'm looking at a raw reference dump with no clue how to use (best practices) these features. For example, org-id has http://orgmode.org/worg/org-api/org-id-api.html but no real explanation on what it is or how to use it. Googling doesn't bring anything either. in-buffer settings (http://orgmode.org/manual/In_002dbuffer-settings.html#In_002dbuffer-settings) is fairly cryptic for me too. Sometimes I can figure out what's going on, but I'm far from having a "best use" understanding. For example, I can look at the "source" for at WORG page (http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-setup.org.html) and see:

#+STARTUP:    align fold nodlcheck hidestars oddeven lognotestate
#+SEQ_TODO:   TODO(t) INPROGRESS(i) WAITING(w@) | DONE(d) CANCELED(c@)
#+TAGS:       Write(w) Update(u) Fix(f) Check(c)
#+TITLE:      Worg setup on the http://orgmode.org server
#+AUTHOR:     Worg people
#+EMAIL:      mdl AT imapmail DOT org
#+LANGUAGE:   en
#+PRIORITIES: A C B
#+CATEGORY:   worg

I can then sift through the reference "in-buffer settings," but I'm not much wiser on the whytofors. Has anybody, tutorial-wise, really sorted these concepts out properly?

One task I'd like to have is the ability to embed keywords throughout an org file so that a parser can find and grab these sections. I'm assailed with seemingly many ways: PROPERTIES, org-element, org-id, tags -- most/all of which I have only the dimmest grasp.

Thanks,
LB