[O] Biblatex and Org [was: [OT] Don't use BibTeX!]

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: [O] Biblatex and Org [was: [OT] Don't use BibTeX!]
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 20:50:27 -0700

Hi Thomas,

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> If you're just starting out, I encourage you to use biblatex.  It will
> take a few minutes to make the switch and then you won't have to think
> about it.  A biblatex site you find googling should tell you what you
> need to know.

Well, that's the trouble...although I'm still probably a couple of years
from wanting to publish anything, I'm not just starting out.  I use Org
to keep track of my readings and citation information, and then export
this data to .bib on the fly using functions from org-bibtex.  I have
quite a few readings recorded this way.  I described my setup a while
ago here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/78983/focus=79016

So I'm not really tied to BibTeX, but I *am* relying on org-bibtex.  I'm
certainly willing to switch to biblatex if that's going to save me a lot
of time or headache in the future.  What I need to know is what's
required to switch over the parts of my setup that originate in Org.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I can keep using this part of
my setup, because biblatex supports the .bib format:
#+BEGIN_QUOTE
biblatex can be used with or without BibTeX the program
since its default backend Biber uses fully supports the BibTeX file
format (bib) and users should be able to move to biblatex will little or
no changes to their BibTeX data files when using Biber as a backend.

(from section 2 of the biblatex manual at
http://mirror.hmc.edu/ctan/macros/latex/contrib/biblatex/doc/biblatex.pdf)
#+END_QUOTE

So it looks like switching to biblatex is just a matter of changing my
compilation process and the bibliography commands in my documents.  Does
that sound right?

Thanks for your advice!

Best,
Richard