Re: [O] Add-on: Github Flavored Markdown exporter

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Add-on: Github Flavored Markdown exporter
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 13:31:13 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Tveito <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have written an exporter for Github Flavored Markdown, which is a
>> derived back-end from the Markdown (vanilla) exporter. It adds
>> Github-style src-blocks, strike-through and table of contents.

Your library works really good, thanks. I would recommend adding it to
/contrib. I used it to create new README.md files for all three
libraries navi-mode.el, outorg.el and outshine.el, you can find the
repos on github.com/tj64 if you want to take a look.

I like the idea very much to write this documentation stuff once in one
place and then reuse it in all other places. Therefore when I write a
source file, I use outorg to write a more or less sophisticated comment
header for that file. This is then automatically converted back to a
programming language comment section, but I can always convert it back
to Org-mode. From the outorg-edit-buffer, I can then export it to html,
latex, ascii and now to markdown-github-flavor too, whats nice.

I use a little trick to do this:
I narrow the buffer to the first 1st level headline, and then use

,--------------
| C-1 M-# M-#
| C-u 1 M-# M-#
`--------------

to temporarily insert the default export template, or

,--------------
| C-3 M-# M-#
| C-u 3 M-# M-#
`--------------

to temporarily insert a custom export template from a file.

A few questions and remarks:

- I get the best results with just using example blocks - is it supposed
  to work with source-blocks and other blocks too?

- Just like the Org exporter in general, it does not know how to deal
  with boxes made with rebox2.el, so I replaced them with example
  blocks.

- What about numbered lists with longer text/blocks as item content - is
  the item numbering supposed to work?

--
cheers,
Thorsten