Re: [O] The Org Package

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] The Org Package
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:35:39 +0200

David Masterson writes:
> Hmmm.  I would think that this process might work as well:
>
> 1. Start with "emacs -Q"

This fails with some older versions of Emacs since these had a bug where
parts of the init scripts were processed even when you said explicitly
that they shouldn't be read.

> 2. Bring up the Emacs Packages list
> 3. Mark the "available" org for "U"pgrade
> 4. Execute the upgrade
> 5. Restart Emacs

With the version of Emacs you have that should work, yes.

> The only question is what about the built-in Org?

Leave it alone.  Unless you _are_ planning to build your own Emacs
without it, nothing can be done that might not lead to hard to find
problems later on.  If you're willing to experiment, look at

testing/org-batch-test-init.el

for how to get rid of the pre-installed Org (or at least those parts
that I know about).  Obviously it works in batch mode, otherwise we'd
have tons of complaints about it; but I can't really say if there might
be problems with a full-fledged GUI Emacs session.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html