Re: [O] (OT) How to follow a mailing list with very high activity (like

From: Sacha Chua
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:10:21 -0400

Alexander Baier <address@hidden> writes:

Hello, Alexander, Martin!

> you might want to have a look at gnus - an news/email client for
> emacs. It has something called scoring (I believe this is a concept from
> usenet/nntp). It allowes to do exactly what you want to do and even
> more. You can tell gnus to hide a particular thread, so you do not have

I vote for Gnus and scoring, too. Here's how I've set mine up:

In ~/.gnus:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))
(setq gnus-treat-hide-citation t)
(setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring t)
(setq gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist
     '((gnus-unread-mark)
                         (gnus-ticked-mark (subject 10))
         (gnus-killed-mark (subject -5))
         (gnus-catchup-mark (subject -1))))
; change this to real address, of course
(setq user-mail-address "address@hidden")

After you set up your ~/.gnus, use M-x gnus to start. Go into the
news.gmane.org server (use ^ to see the list of servers if you don't see
the gmane server listed) and find gmane.emacs.orgmode. I think you can use
u to toggle subscription/unsubscription.

Adaptive scoring means that if you kill a thread you're not particularly
interested in, it lowers the score on that one, so any replies are shown
with a negative score. You can also configure it to hide messages with
scores below a certain threshold, so you don't even see replies.

I also have some more rules that score things up if they mention my name
or other things I'm interested in. =)

Hope that helps!

Sacha