Re: [O] Counting number of children under heading

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Counting number of children under heading
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:43:41 +0200

Marvin Doyley <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Thorsten,

> Your hidden line cookie is what I am looking for. If I understand it I
> should do the following
>
> * Fruits [# ]
> ** Apples
> ** Pears
>
> M-x org-hlc-toggle-hidden-lines-cookies ?
>
> When ever I do this I get the following error
>
> Symbol’s function definition is void: outline-body visible-p,
>
> The backtrace is included below.

Just tested `org-hlc-toggle-hidden-lines-cookies' with an org file:

,----------------------------------------------------
| 3 matches for "^\* " in buffer: org-outside-org.org
|      15:* Introduction [#30]
|      46:* Org-mode everywhere [#876]
|     923:* Screencasts  [#20]
`----------------------------------------------------

and

,-----------------------------------------------------------
| 12 matches for "^\*\*?\*? " in buffer: org-outside-org.org
|      15:* Introduction [#30]
|      46:* Org-mode everywhere
|      50:** File Structuring
|      54:*** orgstruct  [#39]
|      94:*** Outline with Outshine  [#186]
|     281:** Subtree and Comment Editing
|     285:*** Introduction [#18]
|     304:*** Outorg [#112]
|     417:*** Poporg [#291]
|     709:** Remote Buffer Control [#213]
|     923:* Screencasts  [#20]
`-----------------------------------------------------------

and it seems to work here ... but thats because I always load
outshine.el and therefore took this function for granted:

,------------------------------------------------------------
| outline-body-visible-p is a Lisp function in `outshine.el'.
|
| (outline-body-visible-p)
`------------------------------------------------------------

I fixed this in master right now, so if you pull the newest version it
should work.

Note that org-hlc.el is 'wrong' in some ways:
- it only acts when called, not via a hook or so
- it actually modifies the buffer to insert and delete the cookies

but it works more or less, even for massive files.

I tried the right way (visibility change hook and overlays) and noticed
that my user experience went downhill pretty fast in big files - seems
that Emacs display engine is overwhelmed at some point.

PS
Why is flyspell-mode turned on automatically in the magit commit-msg
buffer now? I did not do anything about it and don't want it anyway ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten