Re: [O] (OT) How to follow a mailing list with very high activity (like

From: Sharon Kimble
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:35:44 +0100

Brady Trainor <address@hidden> writes:

> On 04/16/2014 12:28 PM, M wrote:
>> This is off-topic, but I hope that someone can give me some good advice:
>
> TLDR version:  I've decided to go with newsgroup rather than subscribe, and
> Thunderbird rather than GNUS.
>
> have we established the following ?
> 3 routes:
>  - subscribe to mailing list with your email address
>  - simply view the newsgroup
>  - RSS
> Some apps:
>  - Gmane website
>  - MS Entourage
>  - Emacs GNUS
>  - Wanderlust
>  - Thunderbird
>
> It was right on topic for me, I was thinking about writing a similar question
> for the last week or so.
>
> However, I don't think I'll make it all the way to mailing list sorcerer in
> one fell swoop.
>
> I did finally get Emacs GNUS working yesterday (ugh, in January I decided it
> wasn't possible with my account), but I couldn't get comfortable in it fast
> enough. I'm tentative about subscribing, so I tried to learn how to be a GNUS
> _newsgroup_ sorcerer. But before I made much progress, I found mention that
> Thunderbird could operate as a newsreader, so I'm now using that, and it's
> nice enough for me, for now.

I'm currently using GNUs for email [2 pop3 accounts and gmail], newsgroup
reading, and rss feed reading too. I've moved from using 'Claws-mail' for
several years to GNUs, and I've been using it reasonably successfully for about
a month now. Yes, it is a steep learning curve, but its well worth it, and
other folk are very patient and helpful. Its worth persevering for, and the
results are good :)

Sharon.

> I would like to learn to better use GNUS at some point.
>

> Brady
>
> The extended version:
>
> I was using almost exclusively the Gmane website, which was fine as it was
> easy to encounter during google searches, but it was not great for emailing
> the list. For one, it seemed to be double spacing my carefully crafted
> messages.
>
> I do like the easy fashion in which I can star messages in Thunderbird, and I
> can take a gradual approach to the learning curve as far as controlling which
> messages I can see or exist, while using the beginner-friendly CUA style.
>
> But now that I've achieved a vast improvement over using just the Gmane
> website, I will be reading carefully for set ups that work even better.

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.6