Re: [O] Fwd: Is `org-preview-latex-fragment` sensitive to alignment spec

From: Rob Stewart
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Is `org-preview-latex-fragment` sensitive to alignment specified by document class options?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:02:48 +0100

Hi Nick,

Thanks for guiding me to a solution, which was to write write my own
defcustom `my-org-format-latex-header`, changing the first line from
the definition in org.el to "\\documentclass[fleqn]{article}". This
definition I call `my-org-format-latex-header`. I then redefine
`org-create-formula--latex-header` to use
`my-org-format-latex-header`, as so:

(defcustom my-org-format-latex-header "\\documentclass[fleqn]{article}
\\usepackage[usenames]{color}
\[PACKAGES]
\[DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
\\pagestyle{empty}             % do not remove
% The settings below are copied from fullpage.sty
\\setlength{\\textwidth}{\\paperwidth}
\\addtolength{\\textwidth}{-3cm}
\\setlength{\\oddsidemargin}{1.5cm}
\\addtolength{\\oddsidemargin}{-2.54cm}
\\setlength{\\evensidemargin}{\\oddsidemargin}
\\setlength{\\textheight}{\\paperheight}
\\addtolength{\\textheight}{-\\headheight}
\\addtolength{\\textheight}{-\\headsep}
\\addtolength{\\textheight}{-\\footskip}
\\addtolength{\\textheight}{-3cm}
\\setlength{\\topmargin}{1.5cm}
\\addtolength{\\topmargin}{-2.54cm}"
  "The document header used for processing LaTeX fragments.
It is imperative that this header make sure that no page number
appears on the page.  The package defined in the variables
`org-latex-default-packages-alist' and `org-latex-packages-alist'
will either replace the placeholder \"[PACKAGES]\" in this
header, or they will be appended."
  :group 'org-latex
  :type 'string)

(defun org-create-formula--latex-header ()
  "Return LaTeX header appropriate for previewing a LaTeX snippet."
  (let ((info (org-combine-plists (org-export--get-global-options
  (org-export-get-backend 'latex))
 (org-export--get-inbuffer-options
  (org-export-get-backend 'latex)))))
    (org-latex-guess-babel-language
     (org-latex-guess-inputenc
      (org-splice-latex-header
       my-org-format-latex-header
       org-latex-default-packages-alist
       org-latex-packages-alist t
       (plist-get info :latex-header)))
     info)))

Now when I call `org-preview-latex-fragment`, the math is correctly
rendered in emacs:
http://imgur.com/mMrMIE6

My only question is: rather than using `defcustom` to define
`my-org-format-latex-header` (hence needing to redefine
`org-create-formula--latex-header`, how do I simply override the
existing definition for `org-format-latex-header`? A hasty attempt to
use setq threw the following backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp "The
document header used for processing LaTeX fragments.
It is imperative that this header make sure that no page number
appears on the page.  The package defined in the variables
`org-latex-default-packages-alist' and `org-latex-packages-alist'
will either replace the placeholder \"[PACKAGES]\" in this
header, or they will be appended.")
  (setq org-format-latex-header "\\documentclass[fleqn]{article} ..
  eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)

Thanks Nick!

--
Rob